Advanced Night Repair, Estée Lauder’s skincare stalwart and top-selling serum, will be adorned with a commemorative gold-foil label this year. Celebrating 3 decades of breakthrough DNA research, the special packaging also features the words ‘30 years of innovation’ emblazoned across its signature stopper.
Among the first skincare companies to understand the fundamental link between DNA damage and skin aging, Estée Lauder discovered that clock genes in our bodies regulate a series of precisely-timed repair responses within each skin cell to help maximise its DNA repair – i.e. save our skin. This led to the creation of the brand’s revolutionary Chronolux technology in this product which has over 20 patents worldwide.
According to the brand:
Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex provides continuous, comprehensive and optimized night-time repair by supporting the natural synchronization of skin’s repair and protection processes at exactly the right time.
Additionally, a new patented technology encapsulating Alkyl Guanine Transferase (AGT) helps repair visible past damage from smoke and pollution, in particular toxins and chemicals, putting this new serum at the forefront of visible damage repair from all known major environmental assaults before it becomes permanent.
While the DNA helix lends visual credence to the product, more than the pr spiel is proof of its efficacy. The latest formula has seen positive results from a rigorous 12-month clinical study, with reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, as well as obvious improvements in skin tone, skin clarity and barrier strength. The product has also received mostly positive reviews on Makeup Alley.
My mum herself only has good things to say about this little brown bottle with the apothecary dropper, having used the original Estée Lauder Night Repair in the early 1980s and moving on to the updated version in the 2000s. I’d asked her if it works and she simply said, “You can tell from my skin!”. And I must say she has very good skin for her age, the result of consistently using not only ANR but also several other skincare products from Estée Lauder, when she was still working. According to her, ANR makes the skin smooth, soft and supple.
Here are some fun facts about this top-selling anti-aging serum from Estée Lauder:
- Estée Lauder was the first cosmetic company to use a ‘little brown bottle’. The ANR bottle was designed to look similar to the shape of old-fashioned pharmacy bottles to reinforce the product’s serious skin care sentiment.
- The almost-opaque brown glass is also functional – its colour helps protect the ingredients from light, maintaining their integrity.
- ANR was one of Evelyn Lauder’s favourite products. She applied it every night after removing her makeup and before putting on her night crème.
- Tom Pecheux, Estée Lauder’s Creative Makeup Director, calls it “caviar for the skin” and uses it to rejuvenate skin before applying makeup. He also likes to mix a little ANR into foundation in order to give a plumping, radiant finish to the skin.
- The new ANR formula is so revolutionary that it is patented until 2021.
- In one year, Estée Lauder sold almost 4 million bottles of this serum globally.
Estée Lauder USA tweeted a photo of an ANR cake that was specially created for a press event – how realistic it looks!
In Singapore, the limited edition ANR bottle retails at S$96 (30 ml) and S$138 (50 ml).