This June, Nars sends summer shock our way with its bold colour palette.
A modern spin on the sexy, futuristic glam of the 1970s, the Summer 2013 Color Collection brings a cool, nonconformist color palette to the warm weather season. Set off by a seductive, surreal glow, the look suggests a sophistication that’s polished yet punk. The effect is edgy, glamorous, and undeniably modern. In other words, undeniably NARS.
Below are swatches of this striking collection.
- Puerto Vallarta Multiple (S$60) – Named after a Mexican resort city, this shimmering tangerine is a low-key orange whose subdued shade lends it a sophisticated feel.
- Fashion Rebel Duo Eyeshadow (S$50) – A bright dandelion and African violet pairing, this duo has the potential to look bruisey but such a look is oh-so-trendy these days, no? ;) The shadows feel a little chalky but the yellow does show up pretty well.
- Barrow Street Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner (S$36) – Named after a street on New York City West Village, this gorgeous seafoam green is a minty breath of freshness. I’ve yet to see a liner in this shade.
- Euphrate Single Eyeshadow (S$38) – Named after the River Euphrates in western Asia that empties into the Persian Gulf, I love the unique blend of silver and green of this frosted mint steel.
- Tolède Lipstick (S$38) – Named after a former capital of the Spanish Empire, this pink rose satin is yet another wearable shade that joins the Nars lippy range.
- Tender Night Velvet Matte Lip Pencil (S$37) – This limited edition iridescent lilac lip pencil almost disappears on my skin. It’ll probably make a nice your-lips-but-better shade for paler lips. I like its cool slant and might purchase it, either to use as a YLBB colour or as a base for other shades.
- Paris Follies Larger Than Life Lip Gloss (S$38) – Named after the 1950s movie musical, this pink flamingo isn’t a unique shade but will likely be a popular one.
- Madness Nail Polish (S$30) – This electric crushed orange reminded me of the orange Skittle. Its semi-sheer jelly formula means you will need about 3 coats to reach opacity. I love its cheery hue!
My inspiration for Summer was a very sexy, very strong woman. Someone who knows what she wants and who isn’t afraid to be herself.
– François Nars
Exemplifying this is Stella Tennant, whose edgy – almost-androgynous – look exudes polished sophistication with a punk edge.
Here’s the breakdown of the makeup on the British model:
To achieve the campaign’s high-impact beauty look, Stella’s alabaster skin was made vibrant and luminous with NARSskin Light Optimizing Primer. Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF30 was applied to the center of the face, then blended outward with fingertips.
Cheeks were highlighted in a wash of sheer color, with Puerto Vallarta Multiple patted on at the apples of the cheeks and out to the temples for a seductive glow. Next, Loose Light Reflecting Setting Powder was dusted all over the face to set makeup with a soft-matte, luminous finish.
An array of products helped create the campaign’s multidimensional, dramatic eye look. To prep, Smudge-Proof Eyeshadow Base was applied to the eyelid. Then, using the Eye Shader Brush, the African violet shade of Fashion Rebel Duo Eyeshadow was swept over the entire lid, extending the color to the inner and outer corners of the eye and up to the brow bone. For added intensity, the shade was then pressed along the lower lash line using the Angled Eye Shader Brush. A soft wash of Loose Powder across the eye area with the Yachiyo Brush served to blend and diffuse color. Next the dandelion shade of Fashion Rebel was swept across the brow and extended out and up toward the temples. The upper lash line was defined with Atlantic Eyeliner Stylo. Lashes were finished with two coats of Larger Than Life® Lengthening Mascara.
Finally, attention was turned to the lips. Stella’s pout was filled in with Tolède Lipstick, then blended with a fingertip to soften the color. A swipe of Paris Follies Larger Than Life Lip Gloss added a high-shine finish and completed the glam look.
The collection is currently retailing exclusively at the Tangs e-store. However, it will be available at the Nars boutique at Tangs Orchard from 1 June 2013.
Posted in: beauty news | makeup merry | nars | summer makeup | swatches