Makeup Mail: Manly Cosmetics 120 Palette

August 4, 2008

If you are into colourful looks but are not keen on purchasing dozens of single colour pots, this palette may be something to try.

Comprising 120 eyeshadows in variations of rainbow hues and more, this 22.7 x 15 x 1.7 cm palette from Manly Cosmetics is manufactured by Meidu Cosmetics Factory in China (and/or possibly Hong Kong) and includes a nice balance of matte and shimmery eyeshadows. I was rather amused by its name which connotes masculinity but it really stands for a Chinese name, 曼莉. When romanised, it reads/is pronounced ‘Mun Lee’.

I cannot vouch for the safety of the eyeshadows but online reviews have so far been positive. You can read some comments here and watch video reviews here. The general feedback is that the palette provides an extensive selection of colours (a little hard not to do, given its mindboggling number of pans!), gives good colour payoff (check out the pigmented swatches) and is value-for-money (divide its price by 120 and you will agree with this).

You can purchase it from beauties-factory.com, which seems to be the sole online retailer. You can also purchase it from the same retailer – with a different moniker – on eBay, where you can get the palette at a slightly lower price; depending on whether you are outbid. The palette typically comes with a free Made-in-China travel brush set.

I must concur with the many reviewers who say that chic.gallery ships the palette very securely. It came wrapped in safe sex style; that is, reams of bubble wrap wound securely and tightly around the palette box!

Even with the secure packing, a few buyers have received palettes with cracked eyeshadows. If this happens to you and the damage isn’t extensive, try pressing the shadow(s) back in using methylated spirit or rubbing alcohol to bind the powder.

Safe sex :P

Even the palette itself was bubble-wrapped!

without flash

The ingredient list on the back of the palette box

Posted in: 120 palette | beauty bargains | colours | eyeshadow palettes | eyeshadows | makeup mail | manly cosmetics

90 Responses to Makeup Mail: Manly Cosmetics 120 Palette

1. Frond
    August 7, 2008 at 9:51 am

would love to see some eotds with these Mag ^^

2. Sphinx
    November 19, 2008 at 5:48 am

I wonder if the content of the shadows are lead-free?
    This is my sole concern in not purchasing this rather attractive palette…

November 20, 2008 at 12:27 am

Hi Sphinx!

I don’t know but from what I’ve read, they appear to be all right.

Apparently, someone emailed beauties factory to ask and the answer was in the negative. However, I’m not sure if they can be trusted to give an honest answer. :P

I don’t think we’d know the truth unless we get it tested ourselves.

4. Anonymous
    November 23, 2008 at 7:41 am

hey, those are powders right? I’ve seen some cream eyeshadows, but I really want powder and this one really appeals

November 24, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Hi Anon,
    Yes, they are powder shadows. :)

6. Anonymous
    December 14, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I have personally purchased this palette at the annual hair show in Orlando, FL. Not from this dealer, but, it all comes from Japan. It is Awesome! Aside from hair I also am a professional make-up artist and I was on the hunt for another palette with more color variety and this is the same one with 120 colors, rather that the one I purchased with 72!

January 9, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Hi Anon,

Thanks for dropping by! Is the palette you bought made in Japan or shipped from Japan? Enjoy your palette! :)

8. Claire
    February 21, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I’ve heard worrying things about the palette containing lead – do you know if thats true?

February 25, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Hi Claire,

I Googled it a while back and apparently, someone emailed beauties factory to ask this question. They said no but I’m not sure if they can be trusted to give an honest answer. That said, if you apply a silicone-based primer, that should prevent staining/minimise contact with the skin.

10. Alina
    March 1, 2009 at 1:26 am

Hello,

I wonder if the eyeshadows in this palette are tested on animals? Do you have any information about this?

March 6, 2009 at 12:53 am

Hi Alina,

I really have no idea regarding this. That said, China’s track record re: animal testing isn’t too positive, unfortunately. :(

12. Anonymous
    April 18, 2009 at 1:24 am

hi, i just ordered this today from ebay!! it was my first time ordering from ebay so im scared it might not even come lol.. it actually didnt tell me when its going to come. loads of people said they ordered from the seller chic-gallery, but i ordered from artmall88..i emailed the seller asking when im likely to receive it, so fingers crossed. :) D
    X

April 20, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Hi Anon/ DX(?),

I hope that the palette arrives in a timely manner and that you like it! :) I’d love to hear what you think about it.

14. Anonymous
    April 30, 2009 at 5:15 am

Hi!

This is a wonderfull palette and definately worth the buy. I myself ordered this palette from ebay. Well, my mother ordered it, and sent it to me. When it came to her, there were a couple broken colours (no biggy). She’d placed pennies inside the palette over top of the colours to keep them from spreading. So if you need to travel and you have a broken colour, place a penny over top and it’ll stay put.

Otherwise, great colours, excellent variety of them, and they all look beautiful together. I definately have fun with this palette, and recommend it to everyone.

Caitlin

May 4, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Hi Caitlin!

Thank you for your comment. This is a very pretty and value-for-money palette. :)

The penny tip is useful; thank you. I would wrap it in cling wrap, of course! :)

16. Anonymous
    June 25, 2009 at 3:48 am

Happy to say that these eyeshadows don't contain lead I read an article on them. So they are safe and no worrys. You can email any company that sells them and you will get an answer.

June 27, 2009 at 1:42 am

Hello Anon,

Thank you for your reassurance. I'll try looking for the article (if you could direct me to it, that'd be great!). :)

18. fizaa
    July 6, 2009 at 7:19 pm

hi i like to know the price of it…..and is it available in india

July 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Hi Fizaa,

The price varies on eBay. I'm not sure what the current price is on the Meidu website but you could click to check. I'm also not certain if it is readily available in India.

20. Sarah
    July 7, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Hey :)

I wonder if there is some place I can get them online where they can reach me quicker, is there someone in the UK who sells these? On average, how long do they take when arriving from China?

I LOVE chinese eye shadows, bought a set somewhere and absolutely love it but there's one HUGE problem, they are too fragile, and I'm just a little clumsy :( even if you drop them from a 6" height they all shatter and break and there's a mess, I hope these aren't as fragile!

July 8, 2009 at 1:35 am

Hello Sarah,

I bought this from eBay and it arrived quite quickly. Mail to the UK from Asia usually doesn't take very long. :)

There have been comments about how some shadows in this palette sometimes arrive crushed in the mail. However, this is quite random. To be honest, the seller packs the palette really well. I suppose it all boils down to luck.

Small shadow damages can be redeemed with some methylated spirit though.

Good luck with your purchase!

22. Light and Fluffy
    July 16, 2009 at 7:20 am

Ack, I just bought this on ebay and hurried because there were only 3 miutes left to 'buy now' and it was the lowest price.
    Realized it's 'New Colour B' and includes what appear to be totally different colours then the original.
    Has anyone purchased 'B' and can you let me know if it is any good?
    :( Thanks in advance

July 17, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Hello Light & Fluffy!

I had no idea there was a new set of colours. Are they velvety and shimmery like the original? If so, they ought to be good. :)

24. Tiny
    September 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm

How much is the palette? I would love to place an order

September 10, 2009 at 1:56 am

Hi Tiny,

It depends on how much you bid on eBay and how much the people with whom you are are vying for the palette are willing to pay.

25. September 27, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I love the tutorials on this palette but one MAJOR problem is that the main ingredient is TALC. yucky bummer. Not good for you but especially not for me, Im soooo sensitive. Both my skin and eyes even have a hard time with pure mineral makeup let alone talc and colorants. Im soooo bummed! I guess Ill just keep wishing for the lottery! :)

September 29, 2009 at 10:58 am

Hello Ashley!

It has a strong talc scent too, unfortunately. I hope you find something that suits your skin. :)

26. maria luz
    October 1, 2009 at 1:20 pm

soy argentinaa… y me interesa muchoo saber si tiene proveedores en mi pais!! ya que me encantaria saber los precios de las paletas de maquillaje

November 10, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Hi Maria,

I don’t sell these palettes. :)

27. Juliana Balduino
    October 28, 2009 at 6:25 am

Hello, I’m from Brazil and would like to know how to buy your products for resale here in Brazil. Have any other site of the store!
    I would expect a return.
    Thank you.

October 29, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Hi Juliana,

I do not sell beauty products; I only write about them. :)

28. beautyfreak
    November 12, 2009 at 9:32 am

Hello makeupmag, do you know if this Manly Cosmetics is a China brand or what?
    Are they the same with BH Cosmetics 120 pallete?

November 12, 2009 at 11:46 am

Hi Beautyfreak,

If I recall correctly, this is made in Shenzhen, according to the back of the box. I haven’t heard of BH Cosmetics.

29. Pa
    November 26, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Hey where you got those eyeshadow from? How much? Let me know, i would love to buy a pack too. Thank You!

Ms. Pa

December 2, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Hi Pa,

As I stated in the post, I bought the palette from eBay. :)

30. Rebecca
    November 26, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I purchased this from eBay about 6 months ago. I AM IN LOVE.

Amazing quality, for the price. About 90% of the shadows are superbly pigmented, go on smooth with a nice velvety texture, and they LAST. A few of the light pinks and the matte purple don’t have as high of a color pay off, but who cares?

I am an absolute makeup snob, and I am SO impressed by this. The brush set they give you is not the best, but I have found a couple of the brushes to be very helpful and use them quite a bit.

But this is worth purchasing. Tons of colors, the large majority of them go far beyond their means in terms of the price. I recommend this to everyone I know!

December 3, 2009 at 11:08 am

Hi Rebecca,

I agree with you. Some pans are crumbly but most wear very well. The colours are incredibly intense and show up beautifully, especially with a base. They work like a dream with a sponge-tip applicator.

31. hottcouture
    December 3, 2009 at 12:38 am

Hey everyone

I didn’t order my palette from bfcosmetics in Chine because of the negative reviews about shipping and mainly because it states on there site you would receive your order in 5-21 days thts toooooo long for me!

So I opted to order from BHcosmetics they had wonderful reviews about customer service..delivery…and videos. They were more expensive than Ebay & bfcosmetics but they ship out the same day if you order before 3pm and the packages are insured automaticaly….so I opted for BHcosmetics I’m looking forward to it arriving!

December 3, 2009 at 11:16 am

Hi Hottcouture,

Thanks for the tip. Sometimes it’s better to pay a little more for speed and assurance. :)

32. hottcouture
    December 6, 2009 at 10:28 am

Hey everyone

I just wantex to give u an update on my 120 palette that I ordered from bhcosmetics.com because of there good reviews,return policy and they automatically insure your purchase….YEAH

They are about $5-$10 more than bfcosmetics in china but it won’t take u 21-45 days to get it!!!

Bh cosmetics sent me a confirmation email telling me my order# again my order was received being processed and would be shipped out the same day by 3pm…also a confirmation tracking #
    from UPS my palette left at 1230 and is in transit arriving to me on Tuesday!! I CAN’T WAIT!!!

I also received a email apologizing for the delay being though it was a holiday and large oreding volume that there usual turn around time was 2-5 days but it was on the way.

When I did my order I did use a coupon posted on line and it worked so I saved some dollars!

But I’m still doing research but the company bfcosmetics are cheaper but you from what I have read reviewed..YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR PALETTE WITH SOME DAMAGED COLORS AND IT IS A HEADACE TO RETURN!!

CAN U LET ME KNOW ANY THINGS TO HELP WITH APPLYING THE 120 COLORS!!

I am a hairdresser so I plan to use it for prom…it will keep from transporting a lot of individual eyeshadows!!

I plan to order the matter palettes I was also thinking about reselling them in my salon…I know for me ordering is a pain I like to have what I spent my money on instantly!

Sorry for the long post let me know!

I also have different sites I found the palettes on in the us!

Smoochezzzz

December 16, 2009 at 1:21 am

Hi Hottcouture,

Thank you for your shopping feedback. I’m sure it’d be useful to the many people who read this post. :) There’s no guarantee that every palette will be intact – some pans do have a little softness to them and hence might be prone to cracking / crumbling.

There are several Youtube makeup tutorial videos featuring this palette; you could take a look there. Have fun!

33. Shana
    December 9, 2009 at 12:02 am

I’ve been looking at different reviews for this palette and I’m not sure where to purchase it. I’m wanting to buy one for myself and one for my cousin who shares my interest in makeup. I definitely do not want them to come broken and I definitely dont want to pay 30+ dollars! (bills are outrageous!) So who would you recommend? (i am open to anyones suggestions!)

P.S. I’d like them to arrive by Christmas

December 16, 2009 at 1:17 am

Hi Shana,

I’ve only had one experience buying this palette and it was from Beauties Factory at eBay, when the prices were lower. I’m sorry; I don’t know whom to recommend. If you know someone in Shanghai – a friend once told me that you could order these on a Chinese website for much less.

34. Holly
    December 24, 2009 at 1:10 am

Hello! I purchased this from Ebay from a seller by the name of siusiustar and they are located in Hong Kong and I got my package in 8 days! My friend ordered from them as well too and had a pretty fast turn around. I am in the United States so that wasn’t bad! Love it! Can’t wait to play with it. I too am a make up snob but I heard such great things about this pallette!

December 24, 2009 at 1:19 am

Hi Holly!

8 days is great for HK-US mail, especially with the postal tardiness that we’re seeing these days. Enjoy your palette! :)

35. AC
    December 27, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Hey i would like one of this! how do i order it!?!

December 29, 2009 at 12:42 am

Hi AC,

I ordered it from eBay, as stated in the post. :)

36. January 12, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I bought this palette on ebay from china for $25 (shipping included) i LOVE the colors

you can see how vibrant the colors are in the looks ive created on my youtube page.

January 14, 2010 at 1:32 am

Hi Joelle,

That’s a really good price! :)

37. Ronald Palisano
    February 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I’ve been enjoying your article for some time. You’ve a superb post :) Please post more often. Keep it up!!!

February 3, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Hey Ronald,

Thank you! :)

38. February 9, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I woul like to know how can i buy the make up Manly cometics 120 palette…. my cell 215-768.8543

February 11, 2010 at 11:52 am

Hi Jacimara,

I don’t sell them but you can purchase them on eBay. :)

39. candie
    March 10, 2010 at 5:31 am

it’s very helpful. thank you!!!

March 10, 2010 at 10:55 am

Hi Candie,

You’re welcome. :)

40. March 26, 2010 at 12:04 pm

where can l buy manly makeup cosmetics?, is urgent if l can answer quick please

March 28, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Hi Lucy,

eBay seems to be the best place, so far.

41. Adrian
    June 1, 2010 at 1:58 pm

eBay for sure is the place for it, most of the Asian sellers are very professional and helpful. If your package is damaged or doesn’t arrive they will send a new one out. I’ve received a palette with a few broken yellows and sent a quick email and they said keep the palette and they will send a fresh replacement and I received it in about 15 days. BHcosmetics.com sells the exact product but with their name on it if you’d rather receive it quicker. BH carries the 2 120 palettes that are easily found on eBay as well as a new one that I’ve not seen anywhere else. Their 60 lip palette is the best thing ever, I’ll probably never use lipstick again. Good luck.

June 25, 2010 at 12:30 am

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your feedback. I haven’t tried the lip palettes but I do love my 120 eyeshadow one! :)

42. ck
    July 12, 2010 at 10:37 am

i’m looking at all of these pallettes and they look VERY similar to BHCOSMETICS Eyeshadow. I was totally convinced into purchasing their item but after seeing MANLY Eyeshadows they look exactly alike. Is BHCOSMETICS a fraud?

July 13, 2010 at 1:23 am

Hi CK,

I’m not sure. Perhaps they’re from the same company?

43. amy
    August 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm

i received manly makeup 120 pallete as a gift for my birthday in 09 it is one of the best things ever and pretty much the best eyeshadow ive ever used. i highly recommend it and it has a wide variety of colors you will love it

August 11, 2010 at 2:08 am

Hi Amy,

Enjoy the pretty palette! :)

44. ladys
    September 2, 2010 at 10:27 am

can someone give me some links to the Asian sellers that are trust worthy

kind regards

45. martina
    September 24, 2010 at 6:23 pm

where it was possible to buy a plate of those colors, please?

September 25, 2010 at 11:05 am

Hi Martina,

I bought mine on eBay, as I stated in the post. I’m not sure if they ship to the Czech Republic.

46. martina
    September 24, 2010 at 6:35 pm

sure the colors are amazing but I do not know how much it costs and where to buy it would be sent to the Czech Republic

47. September 24, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Good day. I wrote here longer intends twice please if you can write a thank you urgent reply.

48. irene song
    October 30, 2010 at 7:46 pm

may i noe where is ur place???i m from malaysia..how much this manly cosmetic

November 1, 2010 at 1:00 am

Hi Irene,

I don’t sell these.

49. maria
    November 17, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Are det manly eyeshadow kit testet on animals or not?

November 19, 2010 at 7:13 am

Hi Maria,

I don’t know for sure.

50. Emily M.
    November 26, 2010 at 8:13 am

hi i just ordered this pallete yesterday and i was wondering when you run out of a color can you order the single pods?

November 26, 2010 at 11:09 am

Hi Emily M.,

I don’t think they sell them in singles.