I fell in love with this lipgloss way back when it still cost S$24 (MAC Lipglasses now retail at S$28).
Below is my review of Nico, written 10 (!) years ago, in 2001.
This lavender Lipglass is a winner with me, not least because of its little sparkles. It looked intriguing to me at the counter (you must understand that this was only my second glitter gloss at the time of purchase) and I couldn’t help but be drawn to its twinkly bits.
Not a few people have lauded this gloss for its glitter and colour but many have slammed it too, for being nothing much at all.
In truth, Nico:
- Does not really shine. And even with all the lovely glitter, the sparkling sheen you may expect is not as apparent on the lips as in the tube.
- Is a simple, sheer colour that may not show up in a marked way on some people’s lips.
- Is light enough to tone down dark lippies in a unique way because of its unusual colour.
- Is pigmented enough to show on my pale lips. The added glitter makes my lips look fuller and more interesting.
- Has a lovely vanilla scent, characteristic of MAC Lipglasses.
- Is versatile. Use it as a top coat or on its own, you will see pretty results on your lips.
- Has glitter that is not too overwhelming. An over-abundance of glitter in lip makeup = not a pretty look, sometimes.
- May give an effect similar to soft-focus makeup; I’ve always liked that Nico softens a lip look.
As you might’ve guessed, Nico has since been discontinued. I’ve yet to see something similar from MAC but hope that Nico will make a comeback one way or another!
Posted in: lipgloss | mac | makeup memories