New from Apivita is a line of therapeutic herbal creams created with the belief that nature is the biggest pharmacy. Such a beautiful sentiment! ♥
These multi-purpose healing creams have a lightweight texture that makes them a pleasure to use. As they are made of 95-97% natural ingredients*, they’re generally safe for most people, including children (barring specific allergies, of course). Needless to say, they are dermatologist-tested and are paraben-free. They also do not contain propylene glycol, paraffin, silicones, ethanolamines, colouring and artificial fragrance.
Cream with Hypericum: With a long history of therapeutic use, this herb (aka St John’s Wort) is known to be soothing, moisturising and mildly anti-septic. It can be used to soothe mild sunburn, eczema and atopic dermatitis, as well as heal pressure ulcers.
Cream with Eucalyptus: Long-recognised for its cold-relief properties (think Vicks VapoRub!), eucalyptus is known to be anti-bacterial, anti-septic and anti-spasmodic (muscle-relaxing). It can also be used as a deodorant and expectorant.
Cream with Propolis: A resin collected by worker bees from plants, propolis has been used for pharmaceutical and medical purposes since ancient Greek times. It is widely believed that the father of medicine, Hippocrates, prescribed the use of propolis for healing purposes. Propolis is known to be anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-septic and anti-inflammatory. It can be used to combat acne, pimples and fungal skin infections, as well as treat minor injuries and abrasions, as well as herpes (of the cold sore variety, I believe).
Gel with Arnica: Used since ancient times to treat muscle injuries and pain, arnica is known to be anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-pruritic (anti-itch). It can be used for bruises, sprain injuries, muscle aches and swollen/tired feet. In addition, it can relieve insect bites.
Cream with Calendula: One of the most popular medicinal herbs, calendula is known to be moisturising, soothing, anti-inflammatory and anti-septic. It can be used to hydrate dry/irritated skin after shaving, as well as soothe the sensitive skin of babies and children.
A natural brand based in Greece, Apivita rears its own bees and is the first cosmeceutical company in the world to incorporate propolis in its products.
These ‘first-aid’ salves retail at an affordable S$22. All are 40 ml, except for the calendula which is 50 ml. In Singapore, Apivita is located at Ion Orchard (B3-45/46, opposite Kiehl’s) and VivoCity (01-04).
* Here are the various methods Apivita employs to obtain the natural goodness of flora:
- Infusion: Flowers or leafy plant parts are immersed in hot water for 10 minutes. They are then removed through filtration and the infusion is received.
- Extract: Soaked flowers, leaves and/or the stem of the plant in an aqueous solvent (glycerol, glycol, water) and leave for a specified period. Then the plant is removed and the plant extract is received.
- Oil: Soaked flowers, leaves and/or the stem of the plant-based oil (eg. almond oil, sunflower) for some time. Then the plant is removed and vegetable oil is received.
- Tincture: Soak dried or fresh herbs in alcohol solution and leave for a specified period. Then the plant is removed and the plant the tincture is received.
- Essential Oil: Obtained from the flowers, leaves, the roots of the plant by distillation or mechanical release. Received materials are mainly aromatic and volatile active ingredients of the plant.
Posted in: apivita | beauty news | moisturisers | muti-purpose