A while back, I attended a Skin79 preview party for Singapore beauty bloggers. It was quite an event and we were so inundated by the beauty balms that many of us ran out of skin space while testing the products! ;)
A Korean BB cream brand, Skin79 has been coined ‘Queen of BB Creams’, thanks to its staggering range of products (there’s even a special BB cream for men!). The brand’s distinguishing feature is its adaptation of the phrase ‘blemish balm’ (the definition of ‘ BB’) – each Skin79 BB cream is known as a ‘beblesh balm’.
Here’s what I learnt about the brand:
- Skin79 was the first BB cream brand to launch in Korea and is the top-selling BB cream brand in Korea, Japan and Taiwan.
- Korean star Song Hye Gyo was one of the first celebrities to admit to using BB cream. Her BB cream of choice? Skin79. ;)
- The ’79’ in its name is a derivation of the Korean word for friend (친구/chinggu). The Korean words for 7 (칠/chil) and 9 (구/ku) put together sounds like ‘chinggu’.
The name highlights the brand’s desire to be your skin’s friend. It’s memorable and the seemingly clinical connotation would serve it well, where marketing is concerned – the number at the end lends it an air of credibility, no? ;)
- It has kept its title of BB Cream Queen for a long time, thanks to its remarkably wide range of specific products suited for different skin types/needs.
- Two of its best-selling BB creams are the Hot Pink Super+ Beblesh Balm SPF25 PA++ (meant for oily/combination skin) and the VIP Gold Super+ Beblesh Balm SPF25 PA++ (meant for dry/combination skin).
- Some of the Skin79 BB creams cleverly conceal complementing makeup in their caps.
- Some of the BB creams have complementing BB pacts (face compacts) that can be used over the corresponding creams.
- Skin79 carries other types of makeup too. One memorable item is the Diamond Collection Star Glow Ball Powder whose multi-coloured highlighter spheres are similar to Guerlain Météorites Powder for the Face in 01 Mythic. There is also a sun protection powder, Diamond All Day Sun Powder SPF30 PA++.
- Skin79 will be exclusively available at forty Watsons stores across the island from 26 April 2010.
- Happily, the prices in Singapore are reasonable and on par with those of Korea, barring currency conversion fluctuations.
- Skin79 is distributed by StarAsia (the company that also brings in the La Clarée Oliv’ organic skincare range).
I am not only impressed by Skin79’s market resilience (thanks to its quality and strength in range), I also like that it combines its mostly-attractive packaging with functionality!
Image source: Skin79 Singapore
Posted in: bb creams | korean brands | skin79