Shu Uemura Mika Ninagawa Sakura Collection

March 23, 2011

This spring, Shu Uemura introduces the Sakura Collection adorned with stunning floral images from one of Japan’s top photographers, Mika Ninagawa. An acclaimed artist, her works encapsulate sweetness and edgy complexity, lending depth to her subjects.

For this stunning collection, Mika Ninagawa captures the colours of Japanese cherry blossoms (‘aurora, flashing pink, dawn mauve, oxygen blue, yellow ray’), imbuing the packaging with a delicate and nuanced beauty that alludes to the transient nature of these famous flowers.

This collaborative reunion – the photographer had worked with the brand previously for its Holiday 2008 collection – commemorates the first year anniversary of Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse and represents the brand’s unceasing ‘pursuit of fusing art and beauty’.

In addition to the limited edition special packaging, Mika Ninagawa created a short film featuring the brand’s first beauty ambassador, Japanese actress and model Yu Yamada.

The Sakura Collection comprises:

• UV Under Base Mousse SPF 30 PA+++ in Beige, Pink and BB Beige (S$78)

A popular face product from Shu Uemura, this primer with a light and airy texture not only has a good sun protection value, it also imparts a natural finish to the skin.

Beige creates ‘a subtle effect for a natural, healthy-looking complexion’ and can probably be used alone for light-coverage days.

Pink tints the complexion like ‘diffused, rosy haloes of light’ and would be good for imparting a natural glow to the face.

BB Beige, a limited edition shade, works like a BB cream and has slightly more coverage than the previous two. It also promises to brighten a dull complexion ‘without an unnatural whitish effect’.

• Rouge Unlimited Sakura Collection Petal Kiss On Your Lips in PK332, PK339, PK341, PK356, BG932 (S$39)

Encased in transparent tubes tinted a sakura pink, these lipsticks contain a new ‘sakura hybrid pigment’ that expresses the purity and delicacy of cherry blossom hues.

Pictured above are PK341 and BG932. Both swatch beautifully and have a lovely glide and sheen to them, as well as a pleasant floral (cherry blossom?) whiff.

• Rouge Unlimited Supreme Shine in SS PK307 and SS PK314 (S$40)

Also containing the same sakura hybird pigment, this duo promises to impart high-fidelity colour and dewy shine.

• Powder Foundation Case (S$25)

A limited-edition foundation compact featuring a close-up of sakura blossoms.

Here is a group shot of the press kit items I received. I love the foiled surface of the fuchsia pink press file; its pretty shade complements everything beautifully.

And here is the limited-edition candy tin that accompanied the products; only a small number were produced just for the press. The heart-shaped boiled sweets dusted with icing sugar taste wonderful! ♥

Image sources: Shu Uemura Singapore and Shu Uemura Japan

Posted in: base makeup | beauty news | japanese brands | lipstick | shu uemura | spring makeup | swatches

26 Responses to Shu Uemura Mika Ninagawa Sakura Collection

1. diorlywoods
    March 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I saw this on Vivi and was gushing over it. Thank you for sharing!

March 23, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Hi Diorlywooods,

You’re welcome! :)

2. Amanda
    March 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Hi,

Would like to know if the lipsticks are limited edition.

March 23, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Hi Amanda,

I’m not sure. Perhaps you could call a Shu counter to check?

3. March 23, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I purchased lipstick 341, and the Supreme Shine 314. They are fabulous!
    On the US site it says the pink packaging is Limited Edition, but I don’t know about the color. I put my 341 in one of my Tsumori Chisato lipstick tubes because I still think it is so cute! XD

Thanks for swatching the Mousses! They don’t have the Seasonal packaging on the US site. :o(

March 23, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Hi Laura,

I can’t read Japanese but it seems like PK356 is the limited-edition colour. I don’t like all of the Shu packaging designs but this one is particularly captivating – I like the medley of colours, as well as the sharp/blur contrast of the photos. :)

4. March 23, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Wonderful! They certainly are breathtaking images.

I purchased Moon Peach and Venus Pink from the Tsumori Chisato collection, and LOVED the colors, but no others seemed to be exactly the same. 341 is perfect on me! It’s like my lip color but with a shimmer of gold, and I hope it sticks around. Thanks!

March 23, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Hi Laura,

I love it when I find the perfect shade, so I know how you feel. :)

You should check out Rouge Deluxe, if you like Shu Uemura; Iris is an expert on the brand! ;)

5. March 23, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I’ll check that out…Thanks!

6. March 23, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I think I just gasped at how beautiful the packaging was. <3
    Do you know if this will be available in Europe??

7. abcdlm
    March 24, 2011 at 12:14 am

BB beige was featured in nu ren wo zui da, but 78 is a little pricey. :(

March 24, 2011 at 12:20 am

Hi Abcdlm,

That’s cool. Was it in the mag or the show?

Yes, it is quite pricey for a base product but we’re seeing similar pricing for such products from high-end brands. One way to soften the sticker shock is to shop during sales like the Metro 20% one that’s coming up soon! :)

8. March 24, 2011 at 1:33 am

OK, I’ve been debating with myself since early January whether to get my hands on this collection or not, only a few bloggers wrote about it and I needed to see swatches, but I finally give in. I need to get it!

March 24, 2011 at 1:47 am

Hi Anna,

If you like Shu and are a collector of its LE packaging, you should purchase at least one item from this collection (the foundation case, perhaps, as that is reusable ;)). Have fun deciding!

9. stella
    March 24, 2011 at 8:00 am

it’s very pretty, but where does the ‘edgy complexity’ come in?

the UV mousse is only $115 for a twin pack in Krisshop onboard SIA flights–another 10% off when they run promos, or if you’re PPS. regular packaging, regular shade, but well, it’s a much better price!

March 25, 2011 at 1:19 am

Hi Stella,

Perhaps this collection is more sweetness and light but some of her works are darker.

That’s a great price for the base! Thanks for sharing. :)

10. March 24, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Ahh, everything looks soo pretty! I’m loving the packaging..the colors make me so happy. ^^

March 25, 2011 at 1:19 am

Hi Tiffany,

The colours are cheery, I agree! :D

11. eclair
    March 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm

beautiful packaging!
    i wish Shu will do a LE matching fragrance too~

March 25, 2011 at 1:20 am

Hi Eclair,

That’s a lovely idea; I hope they do a fragrance soon! :)

12. milktea
    March 24, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Oh my! All are so beautiful! And functional too! How to stop at just one?? ;-)

March 25, 2011 at 1:22 am

Hi Milktea,

Grab them all? ;)

13. abcdlm
    March 25, 2011 at 1:29 am

featured in the show

14. March 25, 2011 at 8:32 am

hi do you think a kanebo lunasol powder foundation will fit the powder foundation case?the case is so beautiful!

March 26, 2011 at 12:16 am

Hi Gerberairis,

You could try fitting in your refill at the Shu counter? I doubt so, though, because they are from different companies.