I’d posted this last December on Instagram but thought I’d put it up here for those of you who don’t have an Instagram account.
I actually rotate my makeup brushes but here are the ones I currently use:
1. Shu Uemura Eyebrow Brush in 7OB – A discontinued nylon brow brush. It’s one of my first brushes from Shu. I love it so much I have 3 or 4! Am still glad that I’d bought a few backups.
2. Gino McCray Lash Brush – I use this for my brows, running through them for neatening purposes. It’s pretty firm but doesn’t scratch. I’d bought this from Bangkok a few years ago. I couldn’t find it any more on a recent trip to the Thai capital; I believe it’s been discontinued and replaced with a dual-ended spoolie/comb brush instead.
3. Kevyn Aucoin Eyebrow/Small Eyeshadow Brush – This is ♥~! It lays down my deepest eyeshadow shades perfectly all the time and allows me to blend precisely too. It makes a good eyebrow colour diffuser, as well.
4. Mac 272 Small Angled Shading Brush – An angled eyeshadow brush that’s ideal for my single-lidded eyes and crease. Sadly discontinued. It was with this brush that I learnt to grasp the best angle strokes for picking up colour with such brush heads. I call it the piě nà (撇捺) method: For the left eye, I angle it like the Chinese stroke piě (撇, a downward incline from the right to the left) on the eyeshadow pan and for the right eye, like the Chinese stroke nà (捺, a downward incline from the left to the right). The word rén (人) best represents the two strokes. ;)
5. Essential Beauty Supplies Mini Squirrel Crease Brush – Great for depositing colours on my eye contour area and blending them out. EBS also carries the mini fibre optic blush brush that I like for highlighters and smaller blush pans.
6. Mac 222 Tapered Blending Brush – For all-over blending and diffusion of colour.
7. Twelve from Kent Foundation Brush No. 8 – A synthetic foundation brush with more splay/reach. I like how it blends and spreads foundation colour.
8. Louise Young Super Blusher Brush – I have so much love for this superb brush, a generous and thoughtful gift from Iris! It’s firm yet soft and lays down blush and highlighter colour deftly.
9. MAC 187 Duo Fibre Brush – The classic skunk brush from MAC. I use it for powder and highlighter application.
I couldn’t find an image but special mention must be made of a red-handled Kesalan Patharan fluffy eyeshadow brush, my must-have for clearing eyeshadow and sparkle fallout. :)
Posted in: makeup brushes | makeup tips