The quest for the perfect makeup pouch can lead to interesting beauty developments. In the early 1980s, Seiichiro Hangui, the founder and resident designer of niche brand Artisan & Artist, sought to create the ideal accessories for makeup storage. His designs so impressed Barneys New York that they commissioned him to design a customised series of pouches. In 1996, the company introduced professional makeup tools. Meticulously hand-crafted by Japanese artisans, these brushes are made of top-grade maple wood and natural animal hair.
Before long, major cosmetics and fashion labels such as Armani, Christian Dior, L’Oréal, Paul & Joe and Yves Saint Laurent began requesting for customised designs for their brands – a sure sign that Artisan & Artist had arrived in the beauty world. Today, the brand also produces handbags, wallets and mobile phone cases, as well as luxury camera bags and straps that are popular with photography enthusiasts.
Brought in by Schmidt, a Hong Kong-based company, the brand is available at the Schmidt store on the 5th level of Ngee Ann City. A corner of the store is devoted to Artisan & Artist, showcasing the mega pouches and cases that have come to characterise the brand.
The brushes and select makeup brush cases are stored in a glass display. I was able to feel the brush bristles and enjoyed their silky touch. I was told that the entire range had been brought in but I’m sceptical about this as I’m sure the range is bigger. The Christmas 2011 collection seems to be in, though – I saw the brush cases with the bikini detailing that are part of this collection. ;)
Here are the prices of the brushes at Schmidt, thanks to Joey who sent them to me:
- SGP-10 Liquid Brush – S$60
- SGP-21 Liquid Brush – S$110
- SGP-01 Face Powder Brush – S$100
- SGP-03 Shading Brush – S$100
- SGP-11 Cheek Brush – S$120
- SGP-04 Cheek & Highlighting Brush – S$100
- SGP-12 Highlight Brush – S$110
- SGP-15 Concealer Brush M – S$50
- SGP-05 Eyeshadow Brush – S$60
- SGP-13 Eyeshadow Brush – S$60
- SGP-14 Eyeshadow Brush – S$60
- SGP-06 Point Colour Brush – S$50
- SGP-07 Lash Line Brush – S$50
- SGP-23 Line & Point Colour Brush – S$50
- SGP-08 Eyebrow Brush – S$50
SGP stands for ‘Short Grip Brush for Professionals’.
Travellers will be happy to note that Artist & Artisan is also available at the Perfumes & Cosmetics store run by Nuance-Watson at Changi Airport Terminal 2, after immigration.
Here are the travel retail prices of the brushes:
- Artisan & Artist Powder & Cheek Brush (100% goat hair) – S$90
- Artisan & Artist Eye Shadow Brush (100% weasel) – S$41
- Artisan & Artist Lash Line Brush (100% weasel) – S$41
- Artisan & Artist Eyebrow Brush (100% water badger) – S$39
- Artisan & Artist Liquid Foundation Brush (100% goat wool) – S$48.50
- Artisan & Artist Cheek Brush (100% goat hair) – S$103
- Artisan & Artist Pouches – S$70 to S$90
Given the popularity of this cult brand, makeup artists and beauty aficionados here will surely be thrilled by this piece of news!
Image source: Artisan & Artist*
Posted in: beauty accessories | beauty news | japanese brands | makeup brushes | makeup storage | makeup tools | travel retail