Makeup Memories | Sonia Kashuk Makeup Brushes (circa 2000)

March 17, 2012

I first learnt of Sonia Kashuk from an international beauty forum more than ten years ago. There, I befriended a makeup lover from the US (*waves* Carolyn D.!), who sent me not only Sonia Kashuk makeup sets in swaps but also the brushes with the soft lavender blue handles, cult favourites of that time.

The latter, in particular, impressed me with how well-made they were…and they continue to impress me more than a decade on.

Granted they are starting to shed a little but they’ve all kept their shape and work perfectly till today. I reach for them so often that the passage of time seems insignificant because they’ve been a part of my makeup repertoire for so long. It’s only when I think back to when I’d actually received them that I’m startled by how long I’ve actually had them.

Believe it or not, I have more new and unopened ones. You see, I’d slowly but surely accrued new brushes from other brands over the years, pushing them into the sidelines. Perhaps it’s time to finally open them, now that I’ve given them their due. ;)

Still well-known for her brushes, Sonia Kashuk has since expanded her beauty range to include accessories and tools like makeup pouches and a sponge that seems to mimic the Beautyblender (it’s harder than the latter, though). I haven’t tried the makeup brushes that were created after the blue-handled ones were discontinued, but if they’re anything like the latter, they will last a very long time and serve you well!

Posted in: makeup brushes | makeup memories | sonia kashuk

13 Responses to Makeup Memories | Sonia Kashuk Makeup Brushes (circa 2000)

1. Mei
    March 17, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I’ve some Sonia Kashuk brushes too! Got the white handle ones, they hold up pretty well and I’ve been using them almost everyday for the past 3 years :)

March 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Hi Mei,

That’s great to know! I’m glad the newer ranges are sturdy too. :) Where are they made? Mine are made in Korea.

2. March 17, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Oh yes! I LOVE Sonia Kushuk’s blush brushes. I’ve got two of them, one in travel size, the other full length.

I LOVE their eye shadow packing brush more than M.A.C 213 too! However, I don’t think their blending brush and angled liner is good. =((

March 18, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hi Jyoan,

MAC 213 is a bit too fluffy for my liking; I much prefer MAC 239. :) I haven’t tried the SK blending brush or angled liner but thanks for the feedback. The blending brush that you mentioned – which one is it?

3. March 18, 2012 at 10:39 am

I own the Sonia Kashuck brushes with the wavy black handles. I’m still using the powder brush today, and its surprising to see just how long they last without shedding and generally dying. I have that blue beautyblender lookalike too! But i never got the hang of it. Maybe now that I’m a wee bit more “experienced” I could give it a go and get a better outcome ;) Thanks for taking me down memory lane!

March 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Hey PB,

I have a black-handled synthetic brush for cream blushes from SK! Thanks for reminding me of it. Great to know that this range is good too. The blue sponge is stiffer than the original pink one and less pliable. It’s good for undereye concealer, though! :)

4. Mei
    March 21, 2012 at 10:31 am

Hi Mag,

Not very sure mine is from, as I threw out the original packaging after i got them. Possibly the same, or made in China. The MAC stuff are all made in China but the quality is still pretty good!

March 22, 2012 at 12:42 am

Hi Mei,

Thanks for sharing. The regular MAC brushes are hand-made, if I’m not wrong and made in CA or USA. The makeup brush sets that usually come out during the festive season are made in China, though.

5. Mei
    March 22, 2012 at 12:50 am

Hi Mag,

I see! I only have the full size 179 duo-fibre brush which is made in china (engraved on the bottom of the brush) so I always had the impression MAC accessories are made in China while the makeup are made in the USA.

March 22, 2012 at 1:11 am

Hi Mei,

Huh, the full-sized is made in China?! Aww. I didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing. :)

March 22, 2012 at 1:13 am

Oh Mei,

I just read on Temptalia that the majority of MAC brushes are now made in France and Japan. :)

6. ying
    November 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hi mag!
    Just chanced upon your website while I was looking for brushes. Do you have any idea where can I get this in Singapore? Thanks:)

December 30, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Hi Ying,

Sonia Kashuk can only be found in the US, at Target.