Here are DHC Platinum Silver Nanocolloid Lotion and DHC Platinum Silver Nanocolloid Cream.
The lotion, like most Japanese softeners, promises to aid product absorption. Although it doesn’t say so in its description, I believe it also removes dead skin cells – another characteristic of such softening lotions. Among other ingredients, it contains mulberry and loquat extracts to brighten and calm the skin. The cream is a moisturiser that contains botanicals and co-enzyme Q10 for anti-ageing purposes.
I’ve been trying out my press samples of these two DHC skincare products fairly consistently over the past few months and have observed the following:
- The lotion seems to control sebum production on my nose – I don’t get as many ‘waxy worms’ as I normally do when I perform a gentle extraction.
- The lotion contains alcohol – the smell and cool sensation is quite distinct. If you’re allergic or averse to this ingredient, it’s best to steer clear.
- The lotion doesn’t sting; instead it feels like cool water on my skin. It doesn’t evaporate very quickly, probably due to its high hyaluronic acid content.
- The lotion seems to remove dead cells from the surface of my skin quite efficiently – my face is visibly clearer after using it.
- The cream is a cross between gel and cream. The lightweight texture of the viscous product reminds me of Laneige Water Sleeping Pack.
- The cream spreads easily, my skin absorbing it well. It doesn’t leave a sticky sensation, whether on its own or atop the lotion.
- The cream isn’t ultra-moisturising but it does impart and retain moisture – my skin is visibly plumped up and hydrated in the morning.
- The cream could be packed more hygienically; I really wish it were in a tube or pump bottle/jar.
The combination doesn’t address pore refinement (my enlarged pores are more obvious these days) but it does give me clarity of skin and leaves my face feeling supple and smooth, as well as comfortably hydrated (I actually enjoy touching my face when I wake up!). As a result, my face does seem a touch more youthful-looking. The pair is excellent for Singapore’s hot and humid climate, although I could do with something more heavy-duty on days when my skin feels more parched than usual.
Would I purchase this duo? I might, because I like the non-sticky sensation (≠ the Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid hydrating range which works to hydrate but has a none-too-pleasant sticky after-feel). The texture is undeniably superior – despite its lightweight quality, it moisturises and hydrates well.
However, the strong alcohol edge does disturb me a little, plus my post-pregnancy/mid-30s skin could benefit from something slightly richer. I’m not sure about the line’s anti-ageing promises, either – while my skin does feel slightly firmer and look clearer, it doesn’t entirely address my pore issues or deal with my deeper wrinkles – I suppose topically, only a chemical exfoliant can do that. The platinum/silver nanocolloid ingredients, while sounding impressive, do come off as mumbo-jumbo to me; I don’t know how much of an impact they really make, especially since they appear at the tail-end of the ingredient lists*…unless a little is all is needed for them to be efficacious (I really don’t know how much is actually required).
Ultimately, I’d peg this duo as a straightforward clarifying and hydrating skincare pair that offers results. If I do purchase the two in the future, I’d probably keep them for morning use or humid nights.
In Singapore, DHC is exclusively available at Watsons. The lotion (120 ml) and cream (45 g) each retail at S$72.90. S$>>.
Image source: DHC
* Lotion ingredient list: water/aqua/eau, butylene glycol, alcohol, glycerin, phenoxyethanol, PEG-50 hydrogenated castor oil, polysorbate 80, sodium citrate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, olea europaea (olive) leaf extract, citric acid, hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid, phytosteryl/octyldodecyl lauroyl glutamate, disodium EDTA, dequalinium chloride, angelica acutiloba root extract, arnica montana flower extract, eriobotrya japonica leaf extract, hydrolyzed collagen, perilla ocymoides leaf extract, morus alba root extract, cellulose gum, sodium bicarbonate, platinum powder, silver.
Cream ingredient list: water/aqua/eau, butylene glycol, glycerin, pentylene glycol, pentaerythrityl tetraethylhexanoate, cetyl ethylhexanoate, PEG-400, squalane, carbomer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, phenoxyethanol, dipentaerythrityl hexahydroxystearate/hexastearate/hexarosinate, behenyl alcohol, hydrogenated lecithin, sodium hydroxide, olea europaea (olive) leaf extract, sclerotium gum, kassou ekisu, phytosteryl oleate, tocopherol, angelica acutiloba root extract, arnica montana flower extract, eriobotrya japonica leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, perilla ocymoides leaf extract, morus alba root extract, hydrolyzed collagen, cellulose gum, polysorbate 80, sodium bicarbonate, platinum powder, silver.