Here’s a look at the contents of the Bella Boxes from August, September and October 2012.
August 2012: I Love Singapore
With a custom-made eco-bag printed with ‘I ♥ SG’, this month’s Bella Box commemorated Singapore’s 47th year of independence.
In it were:
- Anna Sui Eye Color in 002
- China Glaze Nail Lacquer in Pool Party
- Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference (skincare sachets)
- Enavose Probiotics Exfoliance Gommage (15 ml)
- Facial Fresh Green Tea Cloth Facial Treatment Mask (1 sheet)
- L’Oréal Youth Code Pre-Essence (5 ml)
With 2 full-sized products (the eyeshadow and the nail polish), this box was a good save after the Bella Box July 2012 fiasco. That said, I found it odd that the Anna Sui colour was a discontinued product – the point of such subscription boxes is to try before buying but putting in an old/no-longer-sold item defeats this purpose, no? Nevertheless, I was pretty happy that the shadow in my box was a shimmery silver that I’d use.
September 2012: Out with the Old, In with the New
This box marked the advent of a new year in the fashion and beauty calendar.
In it were:
- Caudalie Cleansing Water (30 ml)
- Caudalie Vinosource S.O.S Thirst Quenching Serum (10 ml)
- Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet (1 ml x 2 pyramid sachets – so cute!)
- Célmonze Marine DNA Concentrate (2 ml)
- Vichy Bi-White Med Deep Corrective Whitening Lotion (30 ml)
- Rimmel Waterproof Eye Definer in Exaggerate
This box was one for skincare aficionados, given that the dominant brand, Caudalie, is a popular high-end one.
I’m not sure how the products relate to the theme of newness, though. Bella Box claimed they were ‘the latest and most innovative new finds’ from the brands involved but I’ve heard complaints from some people that the date of manufacture of the Rimmel products in their boxes harked from three years ago. My pencil was made in 2010, if I recall correctly.
October 2012: Birthday Box
In it are:
- Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire Eau de Parfum (1 ml)
- Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Multi-Usage Dry Oil (10 ml)
- Nuxe Rêve de Miel Face and Body Ultra-Rich Cleansing Gel (15 ml)
- Nuxe 24h Moisturizing Body Lotion (15 ml)
- Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Solution (20 ml)
- Bellabox 2-sided mirror compact
The Nuxe trio is a lovely skin/body care treat and appears impressive, value-wise. However, it will seem scant to savvy shoppers who have bought the Elle Singapore August 2012 issue which came with these same three products packed as a set named the Nuxe Beauty Kit. If you already own the trio after purchasing the magazine, you’ll probably feel the subscription fee could be better spent.
In addition, I’d expected a box filled with more substantial products – there isn’t even a full-sized item in it – considering it marks the company’s first birthday. The August offering seems more appropriate as a celebratory anniversary box, doesn’t it?
All 3 boxes also contained a bunch of shopping vouchers from the brands in the individual boxes – I don’t use these and usually trash them or pass them to friends who would utilise them. I’m not sure how useful they really are to the Bella Box subscribers.
These boxes were gratis press pieces but in general, I still feel that S$19.95 is too steep for sample items. This is especially because I’ve tried many brands and have purchased their products. However, people who would like to test-drive a variety of skincare brands without committing to full-sized units will benefit from the deluxe-sized products in these boxes. Moreover, the amount of product in the larger samples, as well as the full-sized pieces that sometimes pop up, can make the boxes worthwhile. I know people who love their Bella Boxes even when they only contain sample items, simply because the value of these products exceed the subscription fee.
This month, the company will also introduce a limited edition Bellababy box (S$39.95). It contains 8 items – a mix of skincare products for mummies and babies, as well as an educational baby toy. It’s a clever idea to branch out into the mother and baby realm; I know mums who will enjoy exploring baby-related products…I’m one of them! ;)
Image source: Bella Box Singapore